"A day will come when the cannon will be a museum piece, and we will be amazed to think that these things ever existed!" — Victor Hugo
The Project on Abolishing War is a program of the Center for War/Peace Studies, a 501(c)3 nonprofit organization headquartered in New York, New York. The director of The Project is Tad Daley, J.D., Ph.D., author of the book APOCALYPSE NEVER: Forging the Path to a Nuclear Weapon-Free World (Rutgers University Press.) The current centerpiece of The Project is Dr. Daley's upcoming second book, intended both to introduce a broad, general audience to one of history's Great Ideas — that some form of world republic could one day bring about the abolition of standing military forces and even of war itself — and to apply that idea to the challenges of the 21st Century.
- You can learn more about Tad's first book at www.apocalypsenever.org.
- You can read the Executive Summary of Tad's proposal for his second book.
Note: Requires the free Adobe Reader, which can be downloaded here.
- You can read Tad's article called "The Case for a World Republic" from The Bulletin of the Atomic Scientists.
- You can read an essay that Tad coauthored with former US Senator and JFK aide Harris Wofford, about JFK's vision of enduring world peace through the world rule of law, in THE PUBLIC INTEREST REPORT, the scholarly journal produced by the Federation of American Scientists.
- You can read an article from The Huffington Post that Tad co-authored with his research associate Dr. Jane Shevtsov, suggesting that the Nobel Peace Prize awarded to the European Union in 2012 might be followed some decades hence by another Nobel, this time for a yet-to-be-born "Earth Union."
- You can watch the video of a terrific talk that Tad delivered to the Los Angeles Baha'i community, insisting that humanity can someday make into historical reality the famous statement uttered by the Baha'i founder Baha'u'llah more than 150 years ago ("The Earth is but one country, and mankind its citizens").
- You can learn more about Tad's other activities at www.daleyplanet.org.
- You can learn more about the Center for War/Peace Studies at www.cwps.org. Please consider making a donation to support The Project on Abolishing War.
"Man will never write," they said before the alphabet came and man at last began to write. "Man will never fly," they said before the planes and blimps zoomed and purred in arcs winding their circles around the globe. "Man will never make the United States of the World. No, you are going too far when you talk about one world flag for the great Family of Nations." They say that now.
— Carl Sandburg